Sanjay Bhattacharya from Ministry of External Affairs, took to Twitter to inform them that India would soon get e-passports with secure biometric data.
- The passport would contain secure biometric data.
- It would ensure smooth passage through immigration posts globally.
- The e-passport would be ICAO compliant.
- And would be produced at India Security Press, Nashik
What is an e-passport?
- e-passport will be a replacement for the traditional passport. It will have an electronic chip that carries the same information as the printed passport like name, date of birth etc.
- The e-passport could be scanned, which will speed up the verification process at the immigration counter.
- It will also help curb the fake passport business. Any tampering with microchip will result in failure of passport authentication.